People say expectations hurt, well, this one of mine is sure gonna hurt, literally. January 1, 2012 was supposed to be just another new year’s day, except it wasn’t. As a kid, i was told too much about the mayan calendar and the end of the world (thank you discovery channel specials) that the start of this year had me all hyped up. In the relatively short time i had lived on this planet, I have never seen a major event worthy of being spoken for decades to come. No world wars, no nuclear bombings, no second coming of any god and not even an ice age ( death of Steve jobs doesn’t count 🙁 ) Having watched so many movies about the end of the world has raised my expectations for 21 December, 2012. I know the end of the world is not something to made fun of but then if its gonna happen, its gonna happen and if all we can do is sit and watch, then i wanna watch something truly spectacular. Here is a small list of expectations and questions i have about this so called apocalypse.
There is this one question which i couldn’t get my mind off. Most people are pretty sure that the Mayan calendar dont have a date after 21.12, and i dont question that. But what of the time zone? if its CST, then we in India get to see the dawn of 21.12? or if its gonna happen according to the timezone and slowly move across the planet, then will we get to see it happening live in Australia and NewZeland in our news channels? (imagine the ad revenues they can get of it :O oh, yeah, they wont be alive in a few hours time, never mind) if its the latter, then by the time it reaches the far end of the planet, it would have got over in australia and we can move around the world back home and live happily ever after 😛
But how is it gonna happen? how many are gonna survive at the end of it? Will we have heroes and the important question of all, will we get to see zombies? ( oh, how much i want that to happen 😛 ) even if there will be survivors, i dont know if i wanna be one, it still depends on who all survives, will be big time boring if the only survivors are a bunch of scientists locked up in a lab researching about why this happened and what did they miss!!
Expectations in the order of increasing possibility:
1. Alien invasion ( that’d be cool, we get to fight and dont have to worry about humanity if we kill some of them on a hand combat )
2. God comes and says “Let there be darkness” or something like that and we all drop dead ( no fun but at least we will get to know if there is someone up there watching everything and most people will accept this happily cuz its god’s will )
3. God is an alien who comes and switches off light ( this would solve the age old dispute between science and religion and all will die knowing they were right all along )
4. WW3 breaks out and all hell breaks loose ( there will be peace at some point of time and a lot more survivors than the above 3 situations )
5. Major floods or ice age or something where nature turns against life for abusing it ( a real possibility with the rate we are destroying nature ) (heard somewhere they are creating a vegetarian version of Noah’s ark with all the seeds ready to start a new civilisation, hope they take the nature a bit more seriously then )
6. Nothing happens, not even a global holiday and we go to work ( see? this sounds boring now 😛 )
Cool things to do if you survive:
1. Throw stones at glass buildings if they are not broken yet and see the crash ( we all wanted to do that at some point )
2. Drive a car around like you are playing Grand Theft Auto or Need for Speed ( if the car is in shape, roads cant get any worse than what they are now)
3. Get back to your hobbies you wanted to do all your life if only you had a world without a busy job and Facebook.
4. There is a world out there for you to have fun and you dont have to live to impress people people or earn money. All you will have to do is survive.
Cool things to do if you dont survive:
2. there is this thing like..
3. there isn’t many things you can do, forget it.. live a good life before that and you wont regret it..
People i expect to go down (read dead ) in the chaos: ( i dont personally know most people in the below list and this is just a personal opinion. its not really nice to wish death upon people, but its for a bigger cause)
1. Justin Beiber (Yes please! in your list too right?)
2. A few tamil directors or movie directors in general ( if i am to survive, i deserve a better set of movies after the disaster, haven’t i had enough? )
3. Karunanidhi or in general politicians ( i leave this to the guy watching us from the sky or never mind, they will kill each other sooner anyways )
4. A lot more people without whom a world would be a better place. This is a perspective list and i will keep mine to myself.
People i expect to survive:
1. Well, its all or none. cuz everyone is important to someone in this world.
Happy 2012 everyone 🙂